Jesus, I Am Yours ForeverHome » Original Songs » Modern Hymns
Posted by David L. Ward on September 19th, 2019
DescriptionThis hymn is based on the seven "I am" statements of Jesus in the book of John:
- “I am the bread of life.” (John 6:35, 41, 48, 51) As bread sustains physical life, so Christ offers and sustains spiritual life.
- “I am the light of the world.” (John 8:12) To a world lost in darkness, Christ offers Himself as a guide.
- “I am the door of the sheep.” (John 10:7,9) Jesus protects His followers as shepherds protect their flocks from predators.
- “I am the resurrection and the life.” (John 11:25) Death is not the final word for those in Christ.
- “I am the good shepherd.” (John 10:11, 14) Jesus is committed to caring and watching over those who are His.
- “I am the way, the truth, and the life.” (John 14:6) Jesus is the source of all truth and knowledge about God.
- “I am the true vine.” (John 15:1, 5) By attaching ourselves to Christ, we enable His life to flow in and through us. Then we cannot help but bear fruit that will honor the Father.
-- From https://www.thomasnelsonbibles.com/jesus-seven-i-am-statements/
When the dawn of hope seems distant
Like a polar, winter night,
I will look to Jesus' brilliance-
He will be my lasting light.
In my thirst and in my hunger,
When the world has left me bare,
I will taste of Calvary's wonder
Which my Savior has prepared.
When the door of true repentance
Is concealed by unbelief,
He will lead me to the entrance
Where I find eternal peace.
When obedience turns to ashes
I will trust and not resign;
Fruit shall bud upon the branches
For my Savior is the vine.
When I wandered from His pasture,
Jesus left the ninety-nine;
He, my Shepherd and my Master
Laid aside His life for mine.
In the hour of bitter weeping
At the tomb of dearest friends
I will hear the Savior calling
"Rise to gladness without end."
Jesus, I am yours forever,
Safe from suffering, sin, and strife;
You will bring me to the Father,
You the way, the truth, the life.
By Eric M. Schumacher & David L. Ward
© 2019 Hymnicity
© 2019 Hymnicity